Sunday, March 7, 2010

Week 7 (chapter 7 & 8) Question # 1

What is the Internet? What value does it hold for educators?

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines the internet as, “an electronic communications network that connects computer networks and organizational computer facilities around the world.” I define the Internet as the best resource for education since the first encyclopedia was published. I remember when I was a little girl whenever I had to write a report or do a project for school, my only resource was a set of World Book encyclopedias we had at home. We lived way out in the country so I couldn’t get out to the library very often. I was limited to what information I could get back then, but now there are no limits to the knowledge that is out there on the Internet.

As a teacher there are many ways the internet can be used in the classroom. The first thing I can think of is as a resource. I use the internet to supplement the information that is provided in my teacher’s edition textbook. I can find out more interesting information for my lectures on the internet that the textbook might not have shared, and we all know a teacher has to spice it up to keep his/her students attention for more than five minutes. Also if a student asks a question about a topic I am lecturing about and I do not know the answer, I can always jump on the internet and find the answer right then for my students. Another way the internet can be used by teachers is by assigning projects for students to do at home on the internet. There are all kinds of interactive websites on the internet that gets the students involved without the teacher being there to walk them through it.

I also like the internet because of the programs offered to teachers to make their jobs easier. Gradebook is awesome; teachers keep up with attendance, grades, email, and contact information all on one program which is right at their fingertips thanks to the internet. Also teachers can stay up to date on what is happening outside of their school district or even their state by using the internet. Teachers can also share lesson plans and teaching strategies with other teachers all over the world by communicating through the internet. I don’t know what I would do if I didn’t have the internet as a teaching resource, let alone outside of the classroom.

3 comments:

  1. The thing I learned from the reading is that the internet is not the same as the world wide web. I have always thought of them as the same. Who knew. I agree with you that the internet is the greatest resource available today. I have not read a newspaper in over a year - it is easier to get up to date news, sports, and weather from the internet. As you stated, it is a tremendous means to supplement lessons. I assume from your post that you teach in an affluent area. Where I plan to teach, I doubt half of my students will have a computer at home. THAT is a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your reflections and your peer's comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Linda that the internet is the best thing that could have happened to education. I like Linda when growing up use my grandparents' set of World Book Encyclopedias. The internet gives you unlimited resources at your fingertips. Like Linda stated, if a teacher does not know the answer to a student's question, she can easily go and look it up on the internet during the class period or at least by the next class meeting. Linda is very lucky to have internet access in the classroom. Like Kenneth mentioned, not all schools possess this luxury. Though the internet is convenient, I still utilize the books - dictionaries, thesauruses, and other reference books. The problem with internet is when the link is down, internet is down. It is very important that students be taught how to use other reference materials beside the internet. I use the internet daily, but I know how to use the books when the internet is unavailable.

    ReplyDelete